This page has moved to a new address.

Rooster Mosaic loveliness

Glittering Shards: Rooster Mosaic loveliness

Glittering Shards

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rooster Mosaic loveliness

I love this moment...hours and hours of cutting, placing and sticking are over...

 Before grouting, I cover the slate with masking tape to stop it getting ingrained with grout...
 I mix the grout to a lovely, thick, creamy consistency.

Then I spread it all over. With my hands (I love the feel of it, the spreading tools just aren't for me). Many mosaic artists don't like grouting. I love it. I love the unifying effect, the emergence of art from under a blanket of goo. Its just like life. You have to trust that even when beauty is covered up, it still there, waiting to emerge.

Then gently, slowly (straight away, I just can't wait!) I begin to wipe the excess grout off. Its a loving process, tenderly stroking and bringing it to life - shining up each small piece that makes up the whole.

Just love it. I finished Mr Cheeky Rooster yesterday (he is a commission for a couple's 40th wedding anniversary) and a friend of mine looked at him and said "ooh, he is alive!". I couldn't want for a nicer compliment to a piece of my mosaic art.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • well, that does all sound like fun, maybe I should try it!

    Lovely present for the couple!

    Amelia.x

    By Blogger Amelia, at 16 April 2010 at 09:15  

  • he IS quite alive. I have a thing for roosters and that one is like no other I have seen. Thanks for the glimpse into your process. I have always loved the idea of mosaic but have never really given it an honest try. I would love to dip my hands into the creamy grout.

    By Blogger AG Ambroult, at 16 April 2010 at 16:07  

  • So beautiful! I love to read about your process, it really makes your piece come alive even more! Gorgeous! :)

    By Anonymous Kate England, at 18 April 2010 at 10:16  

  • Love the whimsy of this rooster! They are such fun to paint with all of their amazing colors. Found you on Amelia's course blogroll.

    By Blogger Pat Chapman, at 21 April 2010 at 22:38  

  • Thanks for your lovely comments - he went down a treat with the new owners!

    By Blogger Concetta, at 22 April 2010 at 10:11  

Post a Comment

Always lovely to hear your thoughts...



<< Home