This page has moved to a new address.

My budding little mosaic artist

Glittering Shards: My budding little mosaic artist

Glittering Shards

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My budding little mosaic artist

For over a year now, Isabella has sat with me in my shed, which is my mosaic studio, watching while I make stuff. I would give her tiles to stick her own pieces on (just like mummy) and she made her first mosaic last September when she was just gone two and a half years - here's the
picture (complete with cheeky grin!) ...

Because mosaics is a big part of my world, it is part of hers too and she is slowly learning the words associated with it - it is quite strange hearing a 3 year old say the word 'mosaic' - mo-say-ik - and even more startling from my 2 year old!. She has recently learnt the word 'grout' and watched me with great interest grouting a new piece the other day, part of a tryptych called "From the Rising of the Sun" which I have made for a forthcoming exhibition. Of course, having seen me getting this squishy stuff and squeeze it into the gaps, she was desperate to have a go - too much fun to be had... Having duly explained to her about the importance of wearing a mask when mixing the grout powder she stood there, acting like my health and safety officer and telling me to put my mask on otherwise "it is dayngerus mummy" (mosaic artists, take heed!). Then, she donned the oversize latex gloves and with glee, starting squishing and squashing the grout in the gaps of the last piece of my tryptych. It was lovely watching her both enjoy herself and feel so grown up and like mummy.

My intention is to find lots of ways to teach a love of colour, material and mosaics to my children, adapting techniques to suit their ages. If anyone has ideas or experience of this I would love to hear from you.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Hi,

    I read your post on Mosaic Artist Org about your 3 year old daughter and how she is discovering the wild and wonderful world of mosaics through you. I have a 4 year old Grandaughter Maddy that is also a blooming mosaic artist.
    When she was 3 she made her first piece. She made a stain glass cross that is really beautiful. She has also made a picture frame and is currently working on a stepping stone. She told me that she is proud of us for helping to save our earth through recycling. When I inquired about her knowledge of recycling she informed me that she learned all about it by watching the backyardagains. Maddy is my sidekick and loves to work in the garden, go treasure hunting in second hand shops, and search in my forbidden glass room for the perfect object to add to a work of art. Last week Maddys cousin (my second grand child) asked her why Grami doesn't work anymore. Maddy put her little hands on her hips cocked her head to the side and said Rileigh Grami works shes an artist.

    By Blogger debi, at 25 June 2009 at 05:17  

  • Hi Debora
    that is so lovely - and so encouraging to hear. I haven't tried picture frames yet with Isabella. Great idea. I gave up my paid work in December partly to concentrate on mosaics and Isabella is still trying to make the shift that I no longer work in an office but in my shed! So, three big cheers for Maddy. Would love to see some photos of her creations - I will post some of Isabella's here soon. Thanks for reading and posting.

    By Blogger Concetta, at 25 June 2009 at 10:03  

  • Hi concetta, I have a 2yrs old Granddaughter named Isabella (she does get called Bell or Bella). We make Felt mosaics together and have some framed at her house on the wall.I will get some pictures of them for you. Her brother now 6yrs did some great ones when he was 2yrs as well. I use all types of things for them to make art with and one of their favorites is bottle tops. I enjoyed reading your cute kids tutorials.
    Jacqui

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5 March 2010 at 02:25  

  • Hi Jacqui
    I'd love to see pictures! Thanks for visiting and the kind words.

    By Blogger Concetta, at 16 March 2010 at 08:41  

Post a Comment

Always lovely to hear your thoughts...



<< Home