This page has moved to a new address.

Object graveyards

Glittering Shards: Object graveyards

Glittering Shards

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Object graveyards


I am clearing out the 'shed' part of my workshop so it is no shed and all workshop! Amazingly, almost everything that was in the shed (not part of my mosaic life) has found a home elsewhere. There is nothing like decluttering and sorting stuff so that things have a proper home rather than being shoved out of the way. It was soooo satifying. We are now nearly ready to insulate and paint and put in new work benches. Very exciting.

The sorting included making "keep", "give" and "chuck" piles. We are regular users of freecycle so the 'give' pile will be distributed there and to charity shops.

Then comes the "chuck" pile. Granted, things have come some way - at our local dump, we were able to put old batteries, wood, cardboard and old electrical items in seperate piles, trusting they will be properly recycled. Yet, what I saw was upsetting. A mountain of TV's. I am sure half of them (if not more) were perfectly fine, just not 'flat' enough. I mean, even if you get a flat screen telly, what do you actually do with the half a metre of extra space that you gain behind your TV cabinet?

Then I saw this mirror, full length , beautifully framed and pristine. Left there to be dumped. I so wanted to rescue it. So much you can do with a mirror if you are a mosaic artist. But no, I had to leave it because it is the property of the dump. Oh my. It reminded me of the Object Graveyard webiste - the afterlife of everyday things. Check this out http://webecoist.com/2009/03/15/object-graveyards-the-afterlife-of-everyday-things/

I think Freecycle should have people working at dumps to re-house perfectly good objects to loving homes.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Hello,

    My name is Theo. I am new to blogging I noticed that we are in similar industries. I think it would be beneficial to both of us to exchange links. My url is http://groutcleaningservices.blogspot.com/

    Thank you

    By Blogger Clean Pros, at 13 September 2009 at 23:16  

  • Here in New England many of the dumps have sheds called "swap shops" where stuff that is really to good the toss in a landfill can be left for others to pick up for free. It helps keep stuff out of the landfill, as well as being good for the community. Maybe you could talk to the people who run the dump about setting one up?

    By Blogger Lee Ann, at 14 September 2009 at 02:45  

  • That is a great idea Lee Ann - will do!

    By Blogger Concetta, at 14 September 2009 at 08:15  

Post a Comment

Always lovely to hear your thoughts...



<< Home